Below a list of some of the charities working to improve the lives of people with visual impairments either via providing direct services or promoting awareness of specific ophthalmic conditions. You can also search a directory of services aimed at helping blind or partially sighted people via http://www.sightlinedirectory.org.uk/
- Vision UK - an umbrella organisation which facilitates greater collaboration and co-operation between organisations in the UK which focus on visual impairment and operate on a national, regional or international basis.
- Action for Blind People - Action for Blind People is a national charity with local reach, providing practical help and support to blind and partially sighted people of all ages.
- Diabetes UK - working for people with diabetes, funding research, campaigning and helping people live with the condition.
- The Macular Society - a specialist charity for people affected by any form of macular disease or macular degeneration.
- SeeAbility - to encourage people who are blind or partially sighted and have other multiple disabilities to achieve their full potential and enhance their quality of life.
- The Partially Sighted Society - a nationwide organisation offers a range of services, including catering for education, employment, social, domestic and leisure needs.
- Thomas Pocklington Trust - offers people who are blind or have sight loss the help, support and care they require to lead an independent life, based on their individual requirements. Housing and resource centres based in London, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stourbridge and Plymouth,
- VocalEyes - nationwide audio description charity, providing access to the arts for blind and partially sighted people
International patient and professional development services.
- International Glaucoma Association (IGA) - is the charity for people with glaucoma, with the mission to raise awareness of glaucoma, promote research related to early diagnosis and treatment and to provide support to patients and all those who care for them.
- Orbis - ORBIS prevents and treats blindness by providing quality eye care to transform lives. By providing the tools, training, and technology necessary for local partners to develop their own capacity to provide quality eye care services that are affordable, accessible and sustainable. ORBIS is dedicated to saving sight and eliminating avoidable blindness worldwide.
- Sight Savers International - an international charity which works with partners to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote equality of opportunity for disabled people in the developing world.
- Vision UK - the global initiative for the elimination of avoidable blindness, a joint programme of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) with an international membership of NGOs, professional associations, eye care institutions and corporations
- World Sight Foundation - aims to deliver sustainable solutions for the alleviation of blindness, and for preserving sight, anywhere in the world. The WSF works to enhance the skills of locally-based eye care professionals through education.